Klaipėda Chamber Orchestra on Its Way to Italy
Klaipėda Chamber Orchestra
Artistic Director and Soloist Mindaugas Bačkus (cello)
Soloists: Giuseppe Nova (flute, Italy), Nijolė Dorotėja Beniušytė (harpsichord)
The repertoire of the Klaipėda Concert Hall is being substantially enriched through collaboration between the Klaipėda Chamber Orchestra, Italian flautist Giuseppe Nova and Lithuanian harpsichordist Nijolė Dorotėja Beniušytė who currently lives in Italy. The orchestra has been working in tandem with the two soloists for the second year in a row. Together they will search for ways to combine Italian Baroque music with the new forms of expression found in the work of contemporary composers. The current programme rests on two main pillars – the work of Venetian genius Antonio Vivaldi and that of contemporary composers.
Vivaldi secured his place in history by perfecting the form of what would become the classical three-movement concerto and inventing the ritornello form in music. Some of his instrumental works have programmatic subtitles because he was interested in assigning certain moods and poetic images to changes in music’s character.
The second half of this concert will feature Windharfe (2018) for harpsichord and strings by Justė Janulytė, a Lithuanian composer based in Milan and much admired by Italian audiences, as well as Isabella’s Dream (2012) for cello and string orchestra by Lithuanian composer Arvydas Malcys, and Cello Concerto Twin Legends (2003) by Italian composer Roberto Mollineli. The programme will close with the symphonic poem for chamber orchestra entitled Orawa. Written in 1986 by Polish avant-garde composer Wojciech Kilar, it vividly represents the “spiritual essence” of the Tatra Mountains, as well as the vigour and spontaneity of highlander band performances.
This concert will become a meeting point for three soloists. Performances of Italian flautist Giuseppe Nova have drawn praise from many critics in various countries: The Washington Post called his performance “charming”, Il Giornale eulogized his “enlightened performance” and “an extraordinary musical sense,” while Gazzetta del Sud summed up his appearance as “a magic display of virtuosity.”
Having completed studies in Lithuania and the Czech Republic, Nijolė Dorotėja Beniušytė embarked on a path of professional career and creative self-actualization in Italy. For fourteen years she has been actively involved in strengthening cultural cooperation between Lithuania and Italy.
The third soloist is a cellist distinguished for his unique artistic vision both as a soloist and artistic director of the Klaipėda Chamber Orchestra. Soon he will lead the orchestra on its Italian tour comprising five performances in the second half of May. His solo appearance with the orchestra is literally “on his way to Italy.” Attend this concert to wish the orchestra the best of luck on its international tour!
- 50% off for schoolchildren, students, senior citizens and people with disabilities (appropriate cards to be shown);
- 50% off for children under 7 years of age (admitted only to the educational programmes);
- Admission free for persons in wheelchairs (appropriate cards to be shown ) and 50% off for one accompanying person;
- 10% off for group bookings (20 and more tickets for one event);
- 100% off for schoolchildren and students of the Klaipėda art schools (appropriate ID cards to be shown), which include: Klaipėda Stasys Šimkus Conservatory, Klaipėda Juozas Karosas Music School, Klaipėda Eduardas Balsys Gymnasium of Arts, Klaipėda Jeronimas Kačinskas Music School, Klaipėda Faculty of the Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theatre, Klaipėda Adomas Brakas School of Art. A transaction fee of € 1.20 is applied when purchasing tickets via the BILIETAI ticketing system.