The Sacred Veil
Baltic Solo Choir
Artistic Director and Conductor Egidijus Kaveckas
Motiejus Bazaras (piano)
Elena Daunytė (cello)
Programme: Eric Whitacre
“The Sacred Veil” is the title of the debut programme presented by the newly formed vocal ensemble called the Baltic Solo Choir. It was named after a choral piece by one of the world’s most popular composers and conductors of choral music and the recipient of the Grammy award, Eric Whitacre. His works are being performed by millions of choral groups around the world today. The composer himself has visited Lithuania several times in the past few years. His music has also gripped the attention of Lithuanian conductor Egidijus Kaveckas, an alumnus of the Stasys Šimkus Conservatory in Klaipėda and founding artistic director and conductor of the Baltic Solo Choir.
According to Kaveckas, the Baltic Solo Choir is a unique new formation in Lithuania, which consists exclusively of solo voice students and graduates. Thus, each member contributes his or her own inimitable voice colour and character to the overall sound of the ensemble.
The Baltic Solo Choir invites its listeners to slow down for a while and reconsider what is really important to every one of us. For its debut programme the ensemble chose to perform The Sacred Veil – Whitacre’s most recent choral composition set to the verse of American poet / lyricist Charles Anthony Silvestri. “It is a 12-movement work for mixed choir, solo cello and piano, telling a story of life, love and loss. Silvestri’s wife, Julie, died of ovarian cancer at age 36 in 2005, leaving two young children. The intimate, compelling score tells a story of courtship, love, loss and the search for solace – one that so many of us can relate to.”
In this performance, the choir will be joined by two brilliant young musicians – cellist Elena Daunytė and pianist Motiejus Bazaras.
- 50% off for schoolchildren, students, senior citizens and people with disabilities (appropriate cards to be shown);
- 50% off for children under 7 years of age (admitted only to the educational programmes);
- Admission free for persons in wheelchairs (appropriate cards to be shown ) and 50% off for one accompanying person;
- 10% off for group bookings (20 and more tickets for one event);
- 100% off for schoolchildren and students of the Klaipėda art schools (appropriate ID cards to be shown), which include: Klaipėda Stasys Šimkus Conservatory, Klaipėda Juozas Karosas Music School, Klaipėda Eduardas Balsys Gymnasium of Arts, Klaipėda Jeronimas Kačinskas Music School, Klaipėda Faculty of the Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theatre, Klaipėda Adomas Brakas School of Art. A transaction fee of € 1.20 is applied when purchasing tickets via the BILIETAI ticketing system.