The Old Man of Bones on the Iron Mountain
An opera for kids and their families (last performance)
Composer Bronius Kutavičius
Text by Sigitas Geda
Klaipėda Chamber Orchestra
Artistic Director Mindaugas Bačkus
Klaipėda Choir Aukuras
Artistic Director Alfonsas Vildžiūnas
Soloists and actors: Evelina Šimelionė, Gytis Šimelionis, Rasa Ulteravičiūtė,
With the participation of the pupil’s vocal ensemble from the Klaipėda Vydūnas Gymnasium (leader Ingrida Bertulienė)
Conductor Egidijus Kaveckas
Director Birutė Mar
Set Designer Indrė Pačėsaitė
Video by Karolis Bratkauskas
The Old Man of Bones on the Iron Mountain is an opera for children written in 1976 by renowned Lithuanian composer Bronius Kutavičius. Written to a libretto by Sigitas Geda, a Lithuanian poet and composer’s longtime collaborator, it is a stylized folk tale, featuring characters like the Sparrow and the Mouse, the Hawk, the Man, three old ladies, Hawk’s sisters, the Swan Maiden, the Man’s Son, the Old Man of Bones, etc. It is quite short in duration, composed with children’s listening capabilities in mind, even though it was not initially intended for performance by children. The new version of this opera was prepared for this production by director Birutė Mar, with sets and costumes designed by Indrė Pačėsaitė, and videography by Karolis Bratkauskas.
The cast of the production’s performers includes the Klaipėda Chamber Orchestra, Klaipėda Choir “Aukuras”, singers-actors Rasa Ulteravičiūtė, Evelina Šimelionė, Gytis Šimelionis and vocal ensemble of pupils from the Klaipėda Vydūnas Gymnasium, who act and sing under the baton of Egidijus Kaveckas.
The artistic and musical aspects of this production have been determined by the way archaic and contemporary elements combine and enter into dialogue. This interpretation of Kutavičius’s opera seems to be fun and rewarding for little kids and adults alike.
The new production of the opera premiered in April 2019. The composer was present at the premiere and expressed his sincere fascination with the new staging. Unfortunately, it appeared to be his last visit in Klaipėda... This show of the opera will be the last performance of this production. We invite all to seize the last opportunity to see at the Klaipėda Concert Hall and mark the 90th anniversary of the composer’s birth.
- 50% off for schoolchildren, students, senior citizens and people with disabilities (appropriate cards to be shown);
- 50% off for children under 7 years of age (admitted only to the educational programmes);
- Admission free for persons in wheelchairs (appropriate cards to be shown ) and 50% off for one accompanying person;
- 10% off for group bookings (20 and more tickets for one event);
- 100% off for schoolchildren and students of the Klaipėda art schools (appropriate ID cards to be shown), which include: Klaipėda Stasys Šimkus Conservatory, Klaipėda Juozas Karosas Music School, Klaipėda Eduardas Balsys Gymnasium of Arts, Klaipėda Jeronimas Kačinskas Music School, Klaipėda Faculty of the Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theatre, Klaipėda Adomas Brakas School of Art. A transaction fee of € 1.20 is applied when purchasing tickets via the BILIETAI ticketing system.