Vivaldi in Rock
Summer Concert Series
Klaipėda Chamber Orchestra
Artistic Director Mindaugas Bačkus
Programme: Antonio Vivaldi, Tomas Varnagiris
In the middle of July we will entertain our listeners with a project of postmodern transformations called "Vivaldi in Rock." Baroque and rock are two very different musical styles that represent different eras two ages apart. Baroque was a style of art that prevailed in European culture during the period from the early 17th century until the late 1740s, whereas rock'n'roll music originated in the United States in the 1950s. The artistic movements, which developed from the mid-twentieth century onwards and came to be labelled as postmodern art, easily accommodate very different cultural and artistic phenomena, mixing old and new, high and popular art. "Vivaldi in Rock" thus may be described as a postmodern project, linking the work of Baroque composer Antonio Vivaldi and Lithuanian rock guitarist and composer Tomas Varnagiris. Timeless classic of the Baroque genius, The Four Seasons, originally scored for solo violin and orchestra, will be rendered in rock style and combined with Varnagiris' own compositions.
Conductor Vytautas Lukočius was invited to control the combustible energy of this programme, in which the Klaipėda Chamber Orchestra will be joined by a rock band led by Tomas Varnagiris. This ebullient performer is known for his openness towards the most unexpected artistic provocations. In this concert he will not only appear as a conductor but also as a band leader playing the keyboards.
The Klaipėda Chamber Orchestra and its Artistic Director, cellist Mindaugas Bačkus, have also a reputation of adventurous performers keen on getting their hands dirty in free experimentation and various mixtures of styles, collaborating with musicians from different styles and backgrounds. Having previously performed The Four Seasons numerous times with many renowned violinists, Bačkus can be easily tempted into such modern transformation of the classic and playing with the rock band.
Don't miss your chance to listen to the version of a well-known Baroque masterpiece rendered in rock!
- 50% off for schoolchildren, students, senior citizens and people with disabilities (appropriate cards to be shown);
- 50% off for children under 7 years of age (admitted only to the educational programmes);
- Admission free for persons in wheelchairs (appropriate cards to be shown ) and 50% off for one accompanying person;
- 10% off for group bookings (20 and more tickets for one event);
- 100% off for schoolchildren and students of the Klaipėda art schools (appropriate ID cards to be shown), which include: Klaipėda Stasys Šimkus Conservatory, Klaipėda Juozas Karosas Music School, Klaipėda Eduardas Balsys Gymnasium of Arts, Klaipėda Jeronimas Kačinskas Music School, Klaipėda Faculty of the Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theatre, Klaipėda Adomas Brakas School of Art. A transaction fee of € 1.20 is applied when purchasing tickets via the BILIETAI ticketing system.